DECLARE A HUMANITARIAN CEASEFIRE IN ZAMBOANGA CITY, NOW!
A Petition Campaign in Support for Dialogue,
Humanitarian Action and Ceasefire
WE, THE UNDERSIGNED PEACE ADVOCATES, CIVIL SOCIETY GROUPS AND CONCERNED CITIZENS, SERIOUSLY APPEAL IN CALLING FOR DIALOGUE and THE IMMEDIATE DECLARATION OF HUMANITARIAN CEASEFIRE in the conflict-affected barangays in Zamboanga City to address the standoff since September 9, 2013.
Specifically, we urge H.E. Benigno Simeon Aquino III, MNLF Chair Nur Misuari, Mayor Isabelle Climaco, Sec Teresita Deles, and the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) to heed the following calls :
1. We call for an immediate stop to the firefight and a prompt and orderly redeployment of forces – both the MNLF and the AFP to address the alarming evacuee situation;
2. We call on both parties to immediately delineate a humanitarian corridor where civilians and injured combatants may be safely assisted with their humanitarian needs;
3. Generate public support towards broad humanitarian action by allowing full access and the entry of humanitarian groups to complement existing efforts of the local government, DSWD, and civil society in Zamboanga City;
4. We call for both parties to dialogue and allow for sufficient space for peaceful negotiations to take place;
5. We strongly recommend that those who are responsible for the deaths, destruction of properties and other human rights violations will be held fully accountable;
6. We appeal to the Philippine Government and its Office on the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP) to translate its policy in addressing the fate of the MNLF peace process and their legitimate issues;
7. Lastly, we call for the intervention of the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) in resolving this issue, sustaining the role they have long-fulfilled in ensuring the hopes for peace in Mindanao.
We hope and pray that this matter is resolved quickly, justly and peaceably, and that equanimity prevails in the restoration of peace and order in Zamboanga City and its surrounds.
Declare a Zamboanga City-wide ceasefire now! Spare the civilians from armed hostilities! No to armed action and militarization in Zamboanga City!
INITIAL SIGNATORIES :
MINDANAO PEACEWEAVERS (MPW)
Agri-Aqua Development Coalition (AADC)
Alliance of Progressive Labor - Davao Region
Coalition of Social Development Organizations - South Cotabato (CSDO-SC)
Consortium of Bangsamoro Civil Society (CBCS)
GZO Peace Institute
Mindanao Alliance of Self-Help Societies – Southern Phils Educational Cooperative Center (MASS-SPECC)
Makabayan Pilipinas -Mindanao
Mindanao Coalition of Development NGO Networks (MINCODE)
Mindanao Congress of NGOs and NGIs (MINCON)
Mindanao Peoples Caucus (MPC)
Mindanao Peoples Peace Movement (MPPM)
Pambansang Kilusang Samahang Magsasaka (PAKISAMA-Mindanao)
Partido Lakas ng Masa (PLM –National)
Partido Lakas ng Masa (PLM -Mindanao)
Philippine Misereor Partnership Inc. (PMPI)
Initiatives for International Dialogue (IID)
Global Partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict (GPPAC-SEA)
Karen Women Empowerment Group (KWEG -Myanmar)
Network for Transformative Social Protection (NTSP-Asia)
The Life Skills Development Foundation (Thailand)
Women's Initiatives Network for Peace (WIN PEACE -Myanmar)
Women's Organizations Network (WON -Myanmar)
World without WARs and without Violence